Winnipeg Jewish Theatre is happy to announce that our So, Nu? Festival will be back again this fall, and WJT is currently soliciting pitches from Canadian playwrights to assist in the development of new Canadian Jewish plays. So, Nu? first began in WJT’s 2015/16 season with performances and readings of new Jewish works by Winnipeg based artists, and as the festival grows we are looking to offer greater resources in developing new works with playwrights from across Canada. We are particularly interested in plays that explore the intersections of Jewish identity and culture with the identities and cultural experiences of other communities. We encourage submissions from playwrights of all cultural and gender identities.
Please forward a one-page outline of your play for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org and an excerpt of your play up to a maximum of ten pages. Also, include a brief cover letter outlining what resources would best benefit your process at this point in the development period. So, Nu? development activity will take place in fall 2020 (dates will be flexible to accommodate each artist and project).
● One-on-one dramaturgical support.
● One, two, or three-day workshop with director/dramaturg and actors.
One or two nights of excerpted readings from selected plays in November 2020 (exact dates TBC).
● Please send your cover letter, outline and writing excerpt as one PDF attachment to email@example.com
● Please include a letter in the body of the email (that has the play attached) that outlines the history of the creation of this play.This letter should detail all related workshops/readings and dramaturgy.
● Script excerpts need to have numbered pages.
● Please note, jurors do not provide feedback on submitted plays.
● Playwrights do not need to be Jewish but must be Canadian.
● Play content should have some Jewish content.
● The jury will be composed of Jewish and non-Jewish members of the Winnipeg Theatre community in an effort to provide more diverse perspectives during the assessment process.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 6, 2020
The 2020 So,Nu? Festival is supported in part by: