A PROGRAMOF THE MILES NADAL JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTRE SINCE 1999
MNJCC welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
· Please submit plays via email as PDF attachments to email@example.com. Playwrights must use a pseudonym on the front page of their play so that the jury does not recognize their name.
· Please include a letter in the body of the email (that has the play attached) that outlines the history of the creation of this play. This letter should detail all related workshops/readings and dramaturgy. Playwrights must also include their real name and full contact information in this email. If there is a musical demo to submit, please do so via cloud-based link.
· Please make sure your play has numbered pages.
· Please note, jurors do not provide feedback on submitted plays.
· $36.30 in Canadian funds per play is to be paid with each submission on or before SEPTEMBER 7, 2021
· Click here or call (416) 924-6211 x 0 with a Visa or MasterCard.
· Playwrights do not need to be Jewish but must be Canadian, or have a very strong Canadian connection.
· Play content should have a Jewish focus, depicting a prominent theme or aspect of Jewish life.
· Plays must be no less than one hour and no more than two hours in length.
· Plays must be in standard theatre script formatting.
· Novel, short story or poetry adaptations are accepted, but the playwright must have the rights to the original source, or the source of the adaptation must be in the public domain.
· Musicals are eligible. Please submit lyrics and/or musical tracks with your play.
· Plays must be in English.
· Plays that have been previously produced as a Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA) production agreement. Workshops are eligible.
· Plays that have been previously produced outside of the CAEA agreements and staged for more than one week, except for Fringe Festival productions.
· Plays that have been submitted to the Canadian Jewish Playwriting Competition in the last ten years.
· Plays which are not written in English.
· Screenplays will not be accepted.
· The winning playwright will receive $1,000 (CDN) and an 8-hour CAEA ITA workshop with a director and up to six actors. This workshop concludes with a public reading. (A virtual workshop and reading will take place in lieu of a live public performance if we are unable to meet safely in person).
· The winning playwright will also receive one session with a dramaturge before the playwright, director and actors meet for the workshop/reading.
· The winning playwright will be announced in January 2022.
· This program is generously funded by The Asper Foundation.
The jury members are representatives of Manitoba (Winnipeg Jewish Theatre), Ontario(Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company), Quebec (Segal Centre for the Performing Arts), and Nova Scotia (Neptune Theatre), Jewish-arts communities.
SUBMISSIONDEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 7, 2021